The long wait for an Marriott co-branded credit card in India is over. Marriott Group has announced the Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card in collaboration with HDFC Bank. It’s offered on the Diners Club platform and comes with a joining fee of Rs 3000 plus GST. The Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status comes complimentary along with a free award night as a welcome and renewal benefit. On purchases with the Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card, you can earn up to 8 MB points. In this review, you will find everything you need to know about the Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card.
- Age: Min 21 years and Max 60 years
- Gross Monthly Income more than Rs 1 Lakh for salaried individuals
- ITR Income more than Rs 15 Lakhs per annum for self-employed individuals
The Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card will be issued to existing HDFC Bank credit card customers too. It will share your existing HDFC Bank credit limit.
Fees and Charges
|1 Free Night Award (up to 15K points)
|Marriott Bonvoy Status
|Silver Elite with 10 Elite Night Credits per year
|1 Free Night Award (up to 15K points)
|Annual Fee Waiver
What do we get for paying Rs 3000+GST which is Rs 3540 as joining and annual fee on the new Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card?
- 1 Free Night Award (up to 15000 MB points)
- Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with 10 Elite Night Credits per year
That is a pretty good value for the fee we pay. Now, 15000 Bonvoy points may not be enough for most premium properties in India. So, you do have an option to top it up with another 15K bonus points to access more properties. This is an entry-level Marriott Bonvoy credit card. So, we cannot expect much. 🙂
- Spends at Marriott Bonvoy hotels: 8 MB points / Rs 150 ~3.2%
- Travel, Dining and Entertainment Spends: 4 MB points / Rs 150 ~1.6%
- All Other Spends: 2 MB points / Rs 150 ~0.8%
The Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card does not earn any points on Fuel, SmartEMI, Wallets, Voucher purchases, Government and Rental transactions. The exclusion list is in line with what HDFC Bank has for its other credit cards.
2 MB points per Rs 100 on other spends seems a little low considering a lot of high spend categories are already excluded. We value each Marriott Bonvoy point at 60 paise. So, the return rate is between 0.8% to 3.2% on spends. This is rather low and less than what cashback credit cards offer. Plus, Marriott Bonvoy has also switched to a dynamic reward redemption value.
Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite Status Benefits
The Marriott Bonvoy program has got four membership levels – Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite. Without any Marriott Bonvoy credit card, you would need to stay for 10 nights in a year to get the Silver Elite status. With the 10 Elite Nights credit, the Marriott Bonvoy credit card fast tracks you to Silver Elite status. From here on, you would need to stay for only 15 nights more to get to Gold Elite.
The Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status will give you extra benefits too:
- 10% extra points on stays – Any eligible hotel purchases including dining and incidental purchases will get you 10% extra points in your Marriott Bonvoy account
- Priority Late Checkout – For the days when your flight is in the evening and you want to check out a little later
- Member Rates and Free Wi-Fi – Free Wi-Fi is pretty much standard for every hotel now, so not an extra benefit.
The free night award and earned Bonvoy points will be credited to the cardholder’s Marriott Bonvoy account. These can directly be used for reward redemption bookings as we do for other cases.
The earned points for Marriott Bonvoy will also reflect in cardmembers account within 60 days of transaction.
Complimentary Airport Lounge Access
- Domestic Lounge Access within India: 12 complimentary visits per year
- International Lounge Access outside India: 12 complimentary visits per year
Complimentary Golf Access
- Complimentary 2 golf courses access and 2 golf course lessons per quarter across the world
Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank credit card holder gets the following insurance benefits. While T&C is not clear yet, this would most probably be applicable only if you use the card to make the travel booking.
- Delay / Loss in Check in Baggage: $250
- Loss of Travel Documents: $250
- Flight Delay: $250
- Air Accidental Cover: Rs 10 Lakhs
- Emergency Medical Expenses: Rs 15 Lakhs
- Credit Shield: Rs 1 Lakh
- Loss Liability Cover: Rs 1 Lakh
This is the first ever co-branded hotel chain credit card in India. So, has the wait been worth it? The answer would be No. This is a good entry-level credit card from Marriott Bonvoy but it does not have any selling point for Marriott Bonvoy enthusiasts. The earn rate for spends is too low. The only good benefit are the joining and renewal perks.
We get Silver Elite status as long as we hold the card with a credit of 10 Elite nights. Another 15 nights of stay and we can reach Gold Elite status.
Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Credit Card