After HDFC Bank, IndiGo has now tied up with Kotak Bank to launch co-branded credit cards. There are two variants – Kotak IndiGo 6E Rewards Credit Card and Kotak IndiGo 6E Rewards XL Credit Card. XL as the name suggests is the higher variant. The Kotak IndiGo 6E Rewards XL credit card is a mid-level offering and offers between 2% to 6% rewards on spends. IndiGo does not have any airmiles loyalty program. So, 6E Rewards is IndiGo’s attempt at creating a loyalty program ‘currency’ but it is a fixed value offering unlike other Airmiles programs. 6E Rewards are equivalent to cash and can be used for flight bookings on IndiGo website & mobile app.
Fees and Charges
|Joining Fee||Rs 1500+GST|
|Welcome Benefit||Welcome ticket worth Rs 3000, 6E Prime Add On|
|Annual Fee||Rs 1500+GST|
The point to note here is there are no fee waiver criteria. Do the rewards make up for this? We will see it in the next section. Here are some more details on the welcome benefit.
- The welcome benefit ticket can be redeemed only towards the base fare
- The welcome benefit ticket will be sent on making 3 transactions every month for the first 3 months
- One 6E Prime Addon is also given as a first-year only benefit. The benefits include priority check-in, choice of seat and a complimentary meal.
|Dining, Entertainment and Grocery||3%|
|Other Spends (Incl. Fuel)||2%|
- We get ‘6E Reward Points’ on spends. These are just like regular reward points with 1 6E RP = Rs 1.
- The earned ‘6E Reward Points’ are valid for 2 years from the date of credit.
Unlike the base variant, the XL variant is a better option for your spends. With a 2% to 6% reward rate, this can be a good option if you want 6E Rewards for your spends.
Complimentary Airport Lounge Access
- Domestic Airport Lounge Access: 8 complimentary visits/year
- International Airport Lounge Access: Not Available
Delayed Credit of 6E Rewards
6E Rewards earned on your transactions are only credited to the IndiGo account 90 days after the transaction. This is one of the longest reward credit time for credit cards. Delayed posting of even regular 6E Rewards makes it difficult to keep track of earned benefits.
Faster gratification of rewards goes a long way in getting more customers onboard. The 6E rewards credit process needs to be improved a lot.
Other Key Benefits and Charges
- Discounted convenience fees of Rs 150 on IndiGo website bookings
- Foreign Currency Markup: 3.5%+GST ~4.13%
- Fuel Surcharge Waiver: Not Available
- Interest Charges: 3.70% monthly or 44.40% annually
- Rent Payment Charges: 1%+GST
- Credit Limit Increase Processing Fee: Rs 100+GST
Kotak Bank credit cards has this surprising charge even for increasing credit limits. This is applicable even if you get an auto limit enhancement offer and you need to accept it.
The Kotak IndiGo 6E Rewards XL credit card is a good option for someone who travels on IndiGo flights. With a 2% to 6% reward rate, this can be a good way to earn travel rewards for your spends.
One relevant point on 6E Rewards is that we can redeem 6E rewards only against base fare. All other taxes, surcharges need to be paid in cash. Compare this with regular card discount offers on MakeMyTrip/Yatra and we will see a reduced benefit.
The other limitation on this card is that there is no annual fee waiver. There should have been some criteria to get the annual fee waived off at Rs 4 Lakh spend or so. Or some renewal benefit like get another IndiGo ticket worth Rs 3000. This is how the Vistara co-branded credit cards reward for the annual fee payment.
For domestic travel on credit card rewards, we have better options. You can take a look at HDFC Bank Regalia Gold, Diners Club Privilege and Regalia. With SmartBuy you can accelerated rewards and use the reward points for booking revenue tickets. If you prefer flying Vistara, then look at the IDFC Vistara or SBI Card Vistara Prime cards. If you want to get into airmiles redemption for domestic travel, then Atlas, DCB and Infinia are few options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kotak IndiGo 6E Rewards XL Credit Card